Monday 18 January 2016

Watercolour lotus


Yesterday I felt like having a good old play with my Distress Inks and some water, inspired by lots of things I saw on various card challenges over the weekend. So I armed myself with a brush, some water and a bunch of blue Tim Holtz distress inks. I started by a layer of smooshing, letting it dry, and then adding several layers of splattering and splashing. Yes, I know, that's a very detailed and easy to follow description of the creative process. I had a lot of fun, and I think the background turned out quite nice, even if I do say so myself.

I didn't want to detract from the background, so I just stamped the lotus blossom from the gorgeous Lotus Love stamp set from Dee's Artsy Impressions at STAMPlorations and heat embossed in white. I used my new thanks die from Lawn Fawn to create the sentiment. You can't really see it, but both I coloured both the lotus and the sentiment with my Wink of Stella pen, so in real life they have a gorgeous subtle shimmer to them. 


It's really hard to make the Wink of Stella show on photos...
I'm was inspired by, and linking up with, the following challenges:
Just Us Girls - colour inspiration (see below)
The Friday Mashup - Feeling Blue (see below)
The ABC Challenge - Z is for zero (no embellishments allowed)



Card: 190 gsm watercolour paper, 300 gsm textured white card, scrap of dark blue card
Stamps: STAMPlorations Lotus Love
Ink: Tsukineko Versamark, Tim Holtz Distress Inks Blueprint Sketch, Broken China, Chipped Sapphire and Tumbled Glass
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangles and Scripty Thanks dies, Papermania Seafoam white embossing powder, Wink of Stella glitter pen



7 comments:

An Occasional Genius said...

That's beautiful, I love that your lotus flower doesn't overpower the background but just adds to the card xx

Ina G said...

Fabulous result you got for your background. Looks so good against that lovely lotus flower. thanks for joining us this week at Just Us Girls.

Lisa said...

Beautiful! Love the white embossed flower, it goes wonderfully with your watercolor background.

Thanks for joining us at The Friday Mashup!

Nancy said...

Love the ombre background and that great lotus flower! Wonderful card! Thanks for playing along with us this week for our Color Week at Just Us Girls!

Maria said...

This is wonderful! I love the watercolor on the front with the flower, looks fabulous! Thanks so much for playing along with Just Us Girls this week.

AndreaNorris said...

Cool card, love the monochrome and simplicity - just beautiful
Thanks for joining us at ABC Challenge and good luck
Andrea x

Annette said...

This turned out so well! Looks amazing with the blue and the white lotus!
Thanks for sharing and joining us at The ABC Challenge!
Hugs Annette