Sunday 31 January 2016

Pastel watercolours and sequins


I interrupt my crafty stash shopping session to show you that I managed to slowly slowly tease my mojo into co-operating a little bit today. I have spent most of the morning trying to decide whether to spend my hard earned money on a few Paper Smooches dies (I fell in love with this ah-maaa-zing Criss Cross die as well as this and this flower die). In addition, I'm dreaming about the awesome Paint Strokes die, but can't seem to find it from any UK retailer. Could of course order it from the US, but would have to pay astronomical shipping and import tax on top, and although I got a small pay rise with my new job, it's not enough to support such folly. On the other hand, I really want the awesome new paper packs from Lawn Fawn, particularly the plaid one, I am utterly and totally in love. And I *have* to have the stitched frames, that's not negotiable. I'm also considering very seriously buying the set of Lawn Fawn inks as I love the bright colours. However, I have made a solemn promise not to start another set of inks, as I really don't need them. Although to be fair, do we ever really need any of the crafting stash we buy... I just really, really want them!

I also had the shock of my life when I browsed over to the Lawn Fawn blog to drool over their wonderful inspiration cards. when What do I see in the most recent Fawny Flickr Friday - Valentine's Day Edition other than my "It moose be love" card along with the most amazing cards from fellow crafters! I almost felt my heart stop. Such a proud crafting moment. 

Anyhow, on with the show. After a week away from the craft room I wanted to ease my mojo back into crafting mode. So I made a simple card inspired by the very simple and elegant sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches as well as the colour challenge over at Your Next Stamp. I simply die cut the sentiment using the Lawn Fawn Scripty congrats die and the banner above using a die from the Stitched Journaling Card die set from linen textured white cardstock. Then I used Tim Holtz distress inks in Worn Lipstick, Wilted Violet, Mermaid Lagoon, Pine Needles and Faded Jeans to create a watercolour background which I attached to my front panel, and attached everything to a card base made from linen textured white card. I embellished simply using a few matching sequins and that's it. I really like how the card turned out, I love the blended watercolours showing through the white card, it's a really nice effect. I'm also linking up with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where Anything Goes and Allsorts where the theme is Bring on the Bling (sequins count as bling, don't they??)




Card: 300 gsm white linen textured card, 190 gms watercolour card
Ink: Tim Holtz distress inks in Worn Lipstick, Wilted Violet, Mermaid Lagoon, Pine Needles and Faded Jeans
Dies: Lawn Fawn Scripty Congrats, Stitched Rectangles and Stitched Journalling Card
Other: Sequins from my stash

11 comments:

OH Babs said...

Great card and it gave me inspiration to try something similar. I have a row of hearts (dies) and this would look good.

Nancy K said...

This is such a fabulous card design! I love how you used the negative die cuts, it's so clever! I love the Lawn Fawn Perfectly Plaid papers too, I'm especially partial to the "nancy" pattern ;)

Caryn said...

Very pretty design, love how you used the negative space.
Thanks so much for playing along at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Hugs,
Caryn xxx

Jen Mitchell said...

I love the rainbow colors of the die cut sentiments. It's always so cool to use negative space to make a bit statement! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

AnyOldCraft said...

Thank you for joining us at Allsorts this week :)
AnyOldCraft (DT)

Shirley said...

Love the beautiful colorful card!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Love, love, love! This is such a fab card with wonderful colours! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

~ Kendra ~ said...

SUPER fun design! I LOVE it!!! Thank you for joining us at Your Next Stamp! Hope you will join us again next time!!

Craftnut said...

Thanks for joining my theme at allsorts Tracy X

Anita said...

Awesome card! Thanks for joining us at Your Next Stamp.

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

What a lovely CAS card. Colorful and fun with the sequins. Thanks for joining in the fun at YNS!!!