Sunday 10 January 2016

Back in the game


Inspiration is a funny thing. I crafted most of yesterday as I really wanted to publish a blog post (I usually try to publish one on both Saturday and Sunday). Sadly, I ended up with have nothing to show as I kept creating things more and more hideous and at least four more or less finished cards all ended up in the bin. I usually find great inspiration in looking at challenges, but yesterday it just felt that the more I tried to get inspired, the more forced and unlike me the cards ended up looking. I was already mentally prepared to sell all my stash on eBay, just trying to decide whether it would be better to sell things separately or in big bundles. I had a really sucky day overall yesterday, I found myself crying in the kitchen when cooking, for no real reason apart from feeling very sorry for myself, feeling like I was failing at everything  (mostly this is a reflection of how much I hate my job right now). In addition the weather was grey and dreary, as if things weren't miserable enough otherwise.

This morning I decided to take a completely different approach to my crafting, and just did what I felt like doing most. I am going through a phase of creating backgrounds using Distress Paints, and yesterday I thought I should really be doing something else for a change. But today I decided if that's what my little crafters heart wants to do, then that's what I will do and not care about recently having mostly done cards only using this technique. And I had great fun getting all messy. So far, I have created not one but two cards that I am happy with. Also the sun is shining outside, so life seems a bit less dreary today (apart from the fact that I have to be back at work in 19 hours...).

Today's card is inspired by the colours over at Color Throwdown as well as the sketch at CAS(E) This Sketch. I created multiple panels of coloured watercolour card with Tim Holtz Distress Paints in Broken China and Spiced Marmalade, just blotting the colour onto my craft mat, spritzing with plenty of water and then smooshing the paper around, adding even more water to the card and tilting the paper to move the colours around. I then used Stampin' Up Four Feathers stamps and heat embossed in white, before using the matching dies to die cut both the stamped feathers, as well as some feathers without any stamping on them. I used the left over pieces of the cardstock to cut some star shaped confetti using a Lawn Fawn die. I adhered the feathers onto a piece of grey card I die cut with a stitched rectangle die and stamped and heat embossed a sentiment from STAMPlorations in white. It was fun, didn't take very long, and when looking at the finished card, I just couldn't understand why I was struggling so hard yesterday!




In addition to the above, I am linking up with the following challenges:
Happy Little Stampers - Smooshing
The Artistic Stamper - Anything Goes (with Stamping)
Card and Scrap - Use stamps
Crafty Enjoyments - Clean and Simple
Crafts Galore Encore - Anything Goes

Card: Coloured 240 gsm crafting card grey, 300 gsm watercolour paper, 250 gsm white card
Ink: Tsukineko Versamark, Tim Holtz Distress Paints Broken China, Spiced Marmalade
Stamps: STAMPlorations Fond Expressions 2, Stampin' Up Four Feathers and matching dies
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Journalling card and Stitched Rectangles dies, Papermania Seafoam White embossing powder

17 comments:

KatheD said...

well, your crafter's heart certainly took you in the right direction - this card is stunning! i feel a bit of your pain about going back to work tomorrow - i don't hate my job but January is stressful beyond description for me - and i totally feel your pain about sucky days in general. so glad you're holding off on selling all your stash, i wouldn't want to miss the inspiration you provide :) hope you have more sunshine in your life soon!

Line said...

Oh, so beautiful.♥
Thank you for joining us at Card and Scrap.
Hugs Line.

Donna Ellis said...

Well, you certainly have created a wonderful project - I have that same die cut set and have not used it yet - thanks for the inspiration! It's a lovely creation! Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge #25.
crafty hugs,
de
{Creative Smiles}

kartkadopolski said...

This is a beautiful card. Great job! Stitched border made a difference. Composition is prefect. Feathers and stars distressed incredibly. I love your embossing on the fethers.
Thank you for sharing your project with all of us at crafrtyenjoyments.co.uk challenge #3.

Katarzyna Ewa

my blog
my birthday candy
DT craftyenjoyments.co.uk
DT House of Cards

Broni said...

Always follow your heart! These feathers are just beautiful!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at the Color Throwdown this week!

Bente Årstad said...

Vakkert og takk for at du er med på
utfordringen hos Card and scrap,
DT Bente:)

Lisa H. said...

oh, my! this is lovely. I adore those feathers, this is so pretty. thanks for playing along with us at color throwdown.

Deepti said...

I am loving the colors on the feathers :) this is such a pretty card!

Becca Cruger said...

Oh sweet girl - I think we all can relate to those awful days in the craft room where nothing comes out right. Sending lots of positivity and hugs your way! Sometimes the harder we try to fit into guidelines, the worse our artistic spirit flounders. I'm glad that you found some joy in the process. I clicked through to tell you that this is probably one of my favorite designs you've made - it's absolutely STUNning and I'm totally pinning it to ogle again in the future.

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

This is stunning! The colors on the feathers are totally amazing and grey on BG just shows the feathers perfectly.Thank you for sharing your card with us at Happy Little Stampers!

Hannelie said...

Stunning card!
Thanks for joining us at Case this sketch!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is beautiful! I love those beautiful feathers on the grey background! Fabulous take on the sketch!

paperMona said...

I think we all have days like we just want to sell everything, but I'm sure that you would miss creating very much. So do not give up and follow your heart:)))
Your card is beautiful and thank you for joining our challenge at CraftyEnjoyments.
Keep it up!!!
Monika

Michelle said...

A beautiful card. I hope that work gets better and that life brings you lots of joy. This card shows that you should hold on to all your crafty stash. ;-) Thanks for joining us at CAS(E) This Sketch!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

I know what it's like to be in a job you hate, so I can empathise, I couldn't wait to retire (I had been with them for 27 years so it wasn't feasible to change). So glad you could lift your spirits in this way, and show us your fabulous card! Hope you have a lovely weekend. Thanks for sharing! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Malwina M said...

Stunning card! I love feathers!

Thank You for sharing with CraftyEnjoyments

Malwina DT

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

What a lovely card Thank you so much for joining us over at The Artistic Stamper and good luck for the Challenge. x