Sunday 29 November 2015

Penguin under Northern Lights


For a person who originates from a country that other people travel to to see the Northern Lights, it's rather ironic that I've never seen them. But I love the magical photos showing those dancing lights. And I love the techniques used in crafting to re-create the magical feeling of the Northern Lights. Just google Norther Lights crafting video, there are plenty of great tutorials out there.



I started by creating the northern lights backgrounds. For the first card I used Distress Inks in Squeezed Lemonade, Peacock Feathers, Mermaid Lagoon and Cracked Pistachio, and for the other I used Seedless Preserves, Abandoned Coral, Fossilized Amber and Peacock Feathers. I used foam pads to ink the coloured inks in a diagonal pattern across the card. Then I added Chipped sapphire, covering some of the coloured bits to create more of an illusion of the magical dancing lights. Last, I added Black Soot ink around the edges, smudging it gently over parts of the coloured bits. When I was happy with the way the sky looked, I added some stars using a white gel pen. Then I die cut the treeline from black card, and die cut the Northern Lights panel and black treeline panel using a Stitched Rectangle die.



Next, I stamped the super cute little Winter Penguin onto white card and coloured with Copics, doing the same with the sheet of ice from Critters in the Arctic. Then I die cut both images using the matching dies. Next I stamped the sentiment from Lawn Fawn's Happy Everything in Versamark and heat embossed in white embossing powder. After attaching everything onto the front panel, all that was needed was to die cut a mat in matching colour using the next size of Stitched Rectangle die, and attached onto white card. I absolutely adore these little happy penguins, skating under the Northern Lights. 

I would like to contribute to the following challenges:
Time Out Challenges - Be inspired by "Snowflakes are Winter's Butterflies" where I was inspired by the winter theme
Craft Your Passion - Anything Goes
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge - Die cuts or punches 
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra - Anything Goes
52 Christmas Card Throwdown - Sponging or Brayering
Crafting for All Seasons - Brrrr It's Cold Outside

Card: 300 gsm white card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card, 240 gsm black, purple and turquoise card
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Winter Penguin, Happy Everything, Critters in the Arctic and matching dies
Ink and colouring: Tsukineko Versamark and Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Distress Inks Abandoned Coral, Cracked Pistachio, Fossilized Amber, Mermaid Lagoon, Peacock Feathers, Seedless Preserves and Squeezed Lemonade, Copics 
Other: Lawn Fawn Forest Border and Stitched Rectangle dies, Papermania Seafoam White embossing Powder, Signo White Gel Pen

18 comments:

Paper Lily Leaf said...

Fabulous inky backgrounds and I love your cute penguins! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT, April x

Virginia L. said...

Wow...love love the effect of bright colors and black card stock. Brilliantly done! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

Anonymous said...

Wow!These are amazing and your inky backgrounds are so vibrant.It really brings the spectacle to life.Those little penguins are totally cute too!Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
Lisa x

Gerrina said...

What a beautiful light! Both are beautiful! Thank you for taking the TIME OUT and join us!

Heather said...

Stunning cards - a fabulous designs and colours - a cute image but your Aurora Borealis is so realistic - beautiful!!

hugs
Heather xx
Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

Helen said...

A great card - thanks for joining us at Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Extra,

Helen x

Anonymous said...

WOW WOW WOW! I have never seen this technique before! Ultra Fabulous ADORABLE Cards :-)

sandie said...

I love you went with Winter in our phrase and the Northrn lights you have created are amazing! And look fabulous in all these colours. The Penguins look so happy to see all these lights!! Thanks for joining TO

Tanja said...

love your amazing Northern Lights background - thanks for joining us at the 52CCT

Hazel said...

Thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon. x

Joyce said...

Brilliant inky backgrounds, and your penguins are so very cute. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out.

Nonni said...

Wow. I live in Finland and am familiar with northern lights but it never occurred to me to try to create them to a card! Thank you so much for the inspiration. I'm off to look for the videos. :)Thanks for taking TIME OUT and joining our challenge!

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

I LOVE your cards! That Northern Lights effect is so wonderful! Congrats on being picked for the Top 3 at Craft Your Passion, too!
Andrea
Andrea's Paper Antics

Deborah Frings said...

Wow! Both your cards are absolutely fabulous. I love the look that you get using this technique. And I think the co-ordinating penguins are adorable. Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with our technique challenge at 52CCT this week!

slang said...

The colors are amazing! I have pinned these two for future reference. Now I just have to buy the inks . . .lol

Unknown said...

Absolutely love the inking on these. The sky looks amazing. Im always in awe when i see these style of cards. Thanks for sharing with us at CFAS.
Stacey, DT x

Lisbeth said...

hi
very nice card
thanks for joining us at crafting for all seasons
hugs Lisbeth
dt- crafting for all seasons

Mermaid said...

Northern Lights and pinguins? Pinguins live in the South. ;) But the backgrounds are really stunning!