Saturday 10 October 2015

Cheer up, buttercup


I can't say it's been the most beautiful autumn day today, but although the skies have been grey, the rains have kept away and we spent a few hours in the garden. The results are a big bowl of apples which need to be turned into stewed apple, thee cucumbers and a huge bowl of tomatoes of various sizes and colours which I'm hoping to turn into a bit of tomato sauce. I'm so gutted that the tomato crops this year have been abysmal, last year we had enough tomatoes to keep us in tomato sauce for a year, and this year we hardly had any and all have been consumed as soon as they have been picked. But we did have an exceptional harvest of cherries, apricots and figs, so I'm not complaining. And there are plenty of apples and pears, I'm just happily picking the fruit straight from the tree and eating it standing right there in my garden. True happiness! 

I did get a chance to play in the craft room as well. Today's card is my second entry for the CAS-ology Silly challenge. I absolutely love this theme, and I have to admit I once again turned to my beloved Crazy Birds. The round sad looking is my absolute favourite of the bunch (shhh, don't tell the others!). I thought he could do with a bit of accessorising. The layout was inspired by the sketch over at My Favourite Things, and the colours are from the current ColourQ. I'm also linking up at Allsorts where the theme is No designer paper, Chocolate, Coffe and Cards where the theme is animals and Crazy 4 Challenges where the theme is costumed characters. 


There's nothing very high tech about this card, I die cut a panel of watercolour paper using Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangles dies and stamped the sentiments and bird using Staz-On Jet black ink. The first part of the sentiment is stamped using the Stampin' Up Alphabet Rotary stamp and the second part using Lawn Fawn Violet's ABCs. I like creating my own personalised sentiments to go with the cards I make, sometimes you just don't have an appropriate sentiment in your existing sets. Which reminds me I do want to buy at least one more alphabet stamp set, I am loving the Lawn Fawn ones as they have multiple copies of most letters so you can create the whole sentiment you need in one go instead of having to stamp one letter at a time. I watercoloured the birdie and his (I don't know why the birds are all male to me, but they just are...) accessories using Stampin' Write markers in Tangerine Tango, Wisteria Wonder and Old Olive (I don't have Kiwi Kiss). I then used the same markers to colour three stripes from the Stampin' Up Brushstrokes background stamp for the background and adhered the front panel with foam adhesive. I also stamped a sentiment inside the card which I thought would go with the theme of the card.


Card: 300 gsm white card, 300 gsm watercolour card
Stamps: Tim Holtz Bird Crazy, Crazy Things and matching dies, Lawn Fawn Violet's ABCs, Stampin' Up Alphabet Rotary stamp, Brushstrokes
Ink: Staz-on Jet Black, Memento Tuxedo Black, Stampin' Up Tangerine Tango, Wisteria Wonder, Old Olive
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle dies


7 comments:

Jen W. said...

Ha! I love that birdie and this is the perfect sentiment for his grumpy mug. :) Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Tracey McNeely said...

I love those crazy bird images, especially when they rae being silly. Thank you for sharing with us at CASology this week!

Alanna said...

What a fun card. Those bird crazy stamps sure are a lot of fun. I love that you made your own sentiments. Just perfect.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving some comment love.

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

This is so darn awesome! Love how you dressed up the bird. Thank you for playing along with us at MFT Challenge. :)

Joyce said...

This is so very cute, and I also love the sentiment inside. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology and ColourQ this week.

susiestacey said...

Great card.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'No Design Papers' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

Mummylade said...

Both cards are just lovely! Thank you for joining in our challenge at Allsorts this week!