Friday 7 August 2015

STAMPlorations sketch challenge guest DT August


I'm so excited to be joining the talented STAMPlorations team for another guest DT spot, this time for the August sketch challenge. You may have seen my guest post for the July sketch challenge here, and after using a STAMPlorations digi for that card I decided to get a few of my favourite STAMPlorations sets. I've already made a few cards and I absolutely love the stamp sets I have (you can find a few cards here, here, here, here and here). When I saw the August sketch, I immediately saw doughnuts and macaroons. Ok, so I may see doughnuts whenever I close my eyes, but luckily it happened to work well with the sketch.



I am crazy about doughnuts. I stop by the Krispy Creme display in the store just to talk to the doughnuts... I know, I'm crazy. I made my own doughnuts a while ago, you can see them here. I actually made macaroons myself also, you can see them here. So I absolutely adore the Sugar Rush stamp set and had such a great time playing with it for this sketch.

This is probably as much mixed media as I'll ever do, but STAMPlorations always inspires me to at least try to get a bit more experimental. I started by creating the background using Tim Holtz distress paints and lots of spritzed water. I dabbed the paints onto a craft mat, spritzed with plenty of water and smudged the paper around in the colours, adding a dab here and there for more colour. Then I stamped a few sentiments from the Sugar Rush set onto the background, and heat embossed them in white. I stamped the macaroons and doughnuts in Staz-on, watercoloured using distress markers and a waterbrush and fussy cut them. For the sentiment I used a scrap of Tim Holtz Old Paper cardstock and stamped the sentiment in Vintage Photo and heat embossed in clear embossing powder. I also inked the edges of the banner in Vintage Photo. Last, I arranged everything onto the background, added a few sequins and added some Glossy Accents to the doughnuts to give a bit of gloss to the icing. Unfortunately it doesn't show very well in the images.

I decided to have a card photo-shoot outside instead of my usual windowsill location as it seems like summer is back, hopefully not only for a one day visit. And I decided I wanted to show off my gorgeous hydrangea as well, I absolutely adore it. I thought it matched the colour scheme of the card perfectly. 



I would like to share my sugar-filled creation with the following challenges:
In the Pink - Anything goes as long as it's pink
Addicted to stamps - Anything goes
Creative Moments - Anything goes with summer fun
Fab and Funky - No pattered paper
Try Stampin' - or not - on Tuesday - Inspiration picture

Card: Coloured 240 gsm kraft card baby pink, Daler&Rowney 300 gsm Aquafine watercolour card, scrap of Tim Holtz Old Paper card
Stamps: STAMPlorations Sugar Rush
Inks: Tim Holtz distress markers and a waterbrush, Tim Holtz Vintage Photo, Tim Holtz distress paints Spun Sugar, Victorian Velvet, Bundled Sage, Picket Fence and Broken China, Tsukineko Versamark, Tsukineko Staz-On Jet Black
Other: Ranger clear embossing powder, Papermania Seafoam White embossing powder, Glossy Accents, sequins from my stash








12 comments:

Becca Cruger said...

This is so cute! A floating bevy of doughnuts! I'm so glad that you're exploring your inner mixed media goddess because you're dang good at it! I always love seeing your cards in our gallery and I'm SO pleased you're our GD this month!

Donna Ellis said...

what a darling card, and great take on the sketch! hugs, de

Tenia Nelson said...

So so CUTE!!!

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Very clever and so pretty. Love the soft colour palette. Thanks so much for joining in the fun with the Fab 'n' Funky girls this challenge. I LOVE what you did for the challenge. Look forward to having you join us again soon. Hugs, Wends x Fab 'n' Funky DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Creative Moments, good luck!!! Amy DT

Shery Russ said...

Karola, as I've said before...your card makes me crave for donuts!!! :o) So love the soft, dreamy colors you picked and again, I'm craving donuts! Seriously, it's a pleasure having you again on the STAMP blog. Your creations are always so impressive, and this card is no exception. Hugs and thanks for the chuckle -- was fun reading your post about donuts hehehe!

Lilian said...

Pretty card! congrats on the guest DT!
Thank you for joining us at ATSM!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Crystal Komara said...

OMG, DONUTS! Who doesn't LOVE donuts! Certainly not any friend of mine. . . This is an extra sweet card and I love the fun spattering of donuts all over it. Thanks for joining us at Try Stampin on Tuesday this week! Crystal

LeAnne said...

Yummo! What a sweet treat of a card! It's divine! Thanks for sharing this with us at Try Stampin' On Tuesday!

Simply Sara Stampin' said...

What a fun and delicious looking card! I hope it doesn't smell like donuts too! My dogs would definitely try to eat the card if that was the case! lol Thanks for sharing with us this week at Try Stampin' on Tuesday.
Sara H.

Christine L said...

A very pretty card and such a delicate colour choice.. love it!

Thanks for joining in the fun at In The Pink... good luck and hope we see you again soon!

Christine x

Julie B said...

Mmmm donuts!
Sorry I'm a little late visiting but got my GDs mixed up, silly me.
This is a really fun take on this month's sketch. :)