Wednesday 12 August 2015

Doughnut crazy


My crazy birds arrived today! I finally caved in a bought the set. I have very jealously looked at so many fabulous creations with this set all around the interwebs for the last six months and somehow my fingers were quicker than my brain and managed to put in the order before my prefrontal cortex managed to react. Goes to show that my brain is getting old and slow.

Anyhow the birds are now in the house. They are just the most adorable little critters. I especially love the sad looking round one that I chose to play with today. Looking at that sad little face made me think - why is he so sad? And then I realised that the only reason someone would be that sad is because they don't have any doughnuts. If you would see my face right now, that is the expression I am wearing right now as I am thinking about the fact that I don't have any doughnuts (and if you love doughnuts as much as I do, check out my other doughnut card here). I thought I would make a little painting to go on my fridge door, to remind me to think things through before I reach for the fridge door to get that "one last snack before I promise to stop". 

I had a blast playing with the bird, the gorgeous STAMPlorations doughnuts and my Faber Castell watercolour pencils. After colouring the stamped images, I used my Stampin' Up Alphabet Rotary stamp to create the sentiment. It's a bit tricky to stamp with, and I often have to fill in a bit of missing bits from a letter here or there. But it's great for custom sentiments like this. I thought die cutting the words for "diet" from black card stock to make it look as threatening as possible. I added some glossy accents to the doughnut glazing and the letters of "diet", although it doesn't show very well. To create the frame, I dabbed green and blue Distress Paints onto a craft mat and sprayed with plenty of water. I then dabbed watercolour paper in the paint. After drying with a heat tool, I die cut the frame using Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle dies.

I am linking up with the following challenges:
STAMPlorations August theme challenge - Stamp and Watercolour
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Food and/or drink
Chocolate, Coffee and Cards - Frame It

Card: Daler&Rowney 300 gsm Aquafine card
Stamps: STAMPlorations Sugar Rush, Tim Holtz Bird Crazy, Stampin' Up Alphabet Rotary stamp
Colouring: Faber Castell watercolour pencils
Paints: Tim Holtz distress Paints Picket Fence, Bundled Sage, Mowed Lawn, Twisted Citron, Broken China, Peacock Feathers
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle dies, Cole's ABCs, Stampin' Up Glossy Accents

8 comments:

Teresa Kline said...

hello! oh my is this ever fun, that is me all the way...luv my donuts! cute card! so glad you played along with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

sparkle & shine *~*

Judy V said...

Great fun card! Thanks for joining us at Chocolate, Coffee & Cards!

Julie B said...

Aww, he looks so sad but I'm sure he'll cheer up with those doughnuts.
Thanks for sharing with us at STAMPlorations. :)

Olga Direktorenko said...

Oh yeah.... that's cruel. :)

Unknown said...

I just love it! I too took for ever to purchase the bird crazy stamps not I find I want to use them all the time.
www.wandrrblog.com

Taunya Butler said...

Fun, fun, fun card with excellent coloring - and I think you could enter it into the Food challenge over at DoubleClick - Here is a link for you!! Would love to see it in our gallery!! http://doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com/2015/08/thank-you-cherry-much-use-food.html
Taunya Butler
daisiesgirl.com

anncreatief said...

This is so beautiful. I love the colors and image! Thank you for joining our Frame It challenge over at CC & CC. We hope to see you again!
Have a nice day
Anneke DT

LauraJane:) said...

The pairing of your stamps is really too Fun!! Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations!