Sunday 28 June 2015

Rainbow love hugs


I'm back! I bet you all missed me very much? Well, if you didn't notice I was away, it's because of my cunning scheduling of some cards I made in advance. Anyhow, as much as I loved being away from real life for a week in the Cyprus sun, it's good to be back as well. We had a very lazy holiday with Sis, and burned our fair Scandinavian skin to a crisp despite SPF50+, staying covered up and in the shade as much as possible. I think our next holiday has to be Antarctica or Greenland...

Paphos, Cyprus, one of the beaches near our hotel
I'm not usually writing about anything of much gravity here, as this is my crafty retreat from all the goings on in the real world. However, while I was away there were two world news that I feel I have to comment on.

The first piece of news is what inspired today's card. I bet you can guess what it is. I rejoice in the ruling of the US Supreme Court which in my mind is the only possible alternative. As much as I'm trying to respect everyone's opinions, I cannot understand how anyone could oppose to people being able to marry if they are so lucky as to find someone to love and who they want to spend their life with. I am a firm believer in total equality and the ruling makes me very happy for my US friends who it concerns. Obviously, I have my own opinions about marriage being a totally antiquated institution in itself, but I would not be so arrogant as to want to deny it from those who value it. This is in my opinion the crux of so many differences of opinion - live and let live, just because something isn't for you, who are you to judge what is right for someone else and deny them the opportunity? A gender equal marriage law was also approved by the previous Finnish parliament. Although the law still requires approval of the new parliament which does not support it to an equally high degree as the last one, I sincerely hope it will be passed into a law soon. Amidst all the celebration, I think it's very sobering to spare a thought to all the people who still live in places where basic human rights, whether extending to who you are allowed to love or what you are allowed to think, still are not respected and to remember that so many rights we take for granted are not reality everywhere.

Which takes me to the much more sombre news which obviously stopped me in my steps as I was relaxing on a holiday while other fellow happy holiday enjoyers lost their lives in the most horrible of attacks in Tunisia. As much as the previous piece of news gives me hope that we are going in the right direction, this piece of news makes me doubt that humanity has any chance of long term survival while people holding these horrible views and committing these heinous crimes are still out there.

Ok, that was a short and very inadequate summary of my feelings coming back from holiday. I'm off the soap box now, and will focus 100% on crafting again. For today's card I picked distress markers in all the colours of the rainbow and just painted a rainbow background using the markers and a water brush. I die cut the sentiments using Lawn Fawn dies from watercolour paper and finished with a bit of Ice Stickles.

I would like to link up with the following challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge - Anything goes
Addicted to CAS - Splash
Our Creative Corner - What Makes You Smile (this was the perfect challenge for today's card)
Through the Purple Haze - Use Bright Colours

Card: 300 gsm white hammered card, Daler&Rowney 300 gsm Aquafine watercolour paper
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress markers Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber, Spiced Marmalade, Ripe Persimmon, Abandoned Coral, Festive Berries, Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserves, Mermaid Lagoon, Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio, Mowed Lawn
Other: Lawn Fawn Stithed Rectangles, Scripty Hugs and Cole's ABC's dies, Ranger Ice Stickles

5 comments:

Planetsusie said...

What a lovely card - so simple yet so effective. Just think those colours are brilliant like that. Thank you so much for entering the TTPH challenge (use Bright Colours) this month, lots of luck to you.

Hugs Sue Pxxx DT

Scrapintheattic.com said...

What a lovely bright fun card. Thank you for joining my challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Jan x

jenn shurkus said...

beautiful card!!! thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

Unknown said...

Love the rainbow of colours. Thanks for entering at TTPH challenges Jackie x

Deepti said...

I like the colorful splash :) thank you for sharing with ATCAS