Saturday 6 June 2015

Happy Father's day from the herd and Distress Ink Storage


It's been a while since my last post. I've been busy running. I kid you not! I have been trying to get back into the whole running thing, but it's an uphill struggle. I keep getting slower instead of faster, so I think I need to give my body a bit more time to adjust. Anyhow, today I got my run done first thing in the morning, and without that pesky work thing getting in the way, I did manage a bit of time in the good old craft room.

Today's card is in preparation of UK Father's Day (as Finnish Father's day isn't until November). So this is for my Father-out-of-law (I guess that would be the correct term for one's significant other's father if not married...). I wasn't quite sure what would be a good theme for the card as I went with boats and sea last year, that's a sure bet. But I thought I can't go wrong with the herd, now can I?

I stamped the herd onto watercolour paper using Staz-on ink and watercoloured using Tim Holtz distress inks. Then I die cut the photo frame using a Lawn Fawn die, and die cut the "Happy" using Stampin' Up Hello You dies. The "father's day" part of the sentiment is from a Lawn Fawn sentiment set. For the background I chose a paper from Let's Polka Mon Amie, and I punched a few banners using the Stampin' Up Banner Punch.

I am linking up with the following wonderful challenges:
Clear It Out - Anything Goes
Crafty Creations Challenges - All Creatures Great and Small
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Make It Masculine
Stampin' Royalty - Masculine Projects
My Time To Craft Challenge Blog - Male
Brown Sugar Challenge Blog - Anything Goes
Creative Corner Challenges - Just for Dad 

I would also like to show you my storage solution for my Distress Inks. I decided all the commercial Distress Ink storage solutions are a bit too expensive given that I just spent a whole lot of money on getting new furniture for my craft room. So I thought, as I am a crafter after all, why not make one myself. So I did, using black cardstock and some gorgeous Tim Holtz paper. It's a bit wonky and not perfect, but it works and it didn't cost me more than a few pieces of cardstock, so I'm happy with it for now. However, the size was limited by the size of the square shelves in my storage unit, and with six more colours coming out this year, I will have to find some more space for my ink pads. And I'm not even close to owning all the standard colours either! And of course after that I need to complete my collection of Distress markers and paints as well... What's that sound? Oh, it's just my credit card screaming in pain. I have a few other posts on my craft room organisation, my desk organiser here, my paper scrap organiser here, my general craft room layout here and my stamp and die storage here.

The organiser on it's shelf with inks and the matching foam pads.
The top of the organiser.
The back of the organiser.
Father's day card
Card: 300 gsm white card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card
Stamps: Stampin' Up From the Herd, Lawn Fawn Happy Everything
Inks: Tsukineko Staz-on Jet Black, Tim Holtz distress inks
Paper: Lawn Fawn Let's Polka Mon Amie
Other: Lawn Fawn , Stampin' Up Hello You die, Banner punch

Ink organiser
Card: Black 350 gsm card
Paper: Tim Holtz idea-ology Wallpaper

6 comments:

cass said...

Thanks for joining us at Brown Sugar this week for our "Anything Goes" challenge

Annie said...

Great card - love that image. Your storage solution is pretty cool too - well done you. I've been working on stamp storage this weekend - always seem to be trying to find better ways of being more organised and it never seems to be perfect. Thank you so much for sharing with us in our 'MALE' card challenge at My Time to Craft. Annie xxx

Ann said...

Love the Herd - they make me smile! Great storage solution, too. We are always looking for them, aren't we??

debby4000 said...

Brilliant, fabulous card, great image.
Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Luv
Debby

Shauna Cundick said...

So fun! Love everything about this card. Thanks for joining us at Stampin' Royalty!

Creations by Shirl said...

Fun card, thanks for sharing it with us over at Creative Corner Challenge~