Thursday, 29 January 2015

The Challenge #23


I have been making cards for about two years now, and this blog has existed for more or less a year. And I start to feel like I'm finding my style. I do like to make all sorts of cards, but the ones I always end up feeling most happy about are the CAS ones. Well, I guess I have kind of made my own sort of CAS, I'm not very good with white space in the traditional meaning of "white". I like colourful backgrounds but cards that aren't too crowded, and mostly have only one focal point. Today's card is an example of the type of card I feel most comfortable with. 

This card was totally and utterly inspired by the colours and sketch over at The Challenge. The colour combo is one I wouldn't have picked myself, but that's why we have colour challenges, right? For me they are pretty much my only avenue to using anything beside purple and pink... For this challenge, I wanted to play with watercolours. I need to start buying watercolour paper in bulk, I go through loads of it. I'm also linking up at Addicted to Stamps and More where the theme is Clean And Simple and The Pink Elephant where Anything Goes.



I started by spritzing the watercolour paper with water, and inked a stamp from Gorgeous grunge in Daffodil Delight and Bermuda Bay and stamped all over the cardstock. I then spritzed some more water onto the cardstock to make the colours run. I then switched to a stamp with smaller spots from the same set and stamped in Real Red and Bermuda Bay. After another few spritzes of water I dried the cardstock with my heat tool. I die cut the "Happy" from Real Red card and stamped the "Birthday" in Real Red. Then I matted the card onto Real Red card and adhered to a white card. It was so much fun playing with the watercolour effect. Then I put the card away quickly before I started adding anything to it, I think it's finished as it is.

Card: Leonardo Stationery 300 gsm white card, Stampin' Up Real Red, Daler&Rowney 300 gsm Aquafine watercolour paper
Stamps: Stampin' Up Gorgeous Grunge, Paper Smooches Sentiment Sampler
Ink: Stampin' Up Bermuda Bay, Daffodil Delight, Real Red
Other: Stampin' Up Hello You dies

6 comments:

Tanja said...

love that background - thanks for joining us at ATSM this week

Sue said...

Amazing background! Thank you for sharing at ATSM :)

cm said...

Your journey into finding your style is certainly reflected in my own, and I too, am drawn to CAS more than anything else. It's taken quite a while (crafting/blogging for two years) to learn to 'love' white space, and to work with fewer images/products than I initially started out using. Your card is delightful: your colourful background is perfect for the eye-catching "happy"! Thank you for sharing in the ATSM gallery!
~c

Wei said...

Your colourful background is amazing! very creative card. Thank you for sharing at ATSM.

Nance E Salkeld said...

Gorgeous watercolor card! Thanks for sharing it at The Pink Elephant Anything Goes Challenge!

Sanja Grdinić said...

This card really is happy! :) Love it...